How to use SideBar online:
SideBar offers a special functionality that allows you to send messages to the group online, much like a listserv, and makes keeping track of your messages more organized. To use SideBar online please follow these steps. It should be noted that you also have the option to use SideBar using your e-mail account as well. Both online and e-mail distribution methods will have the same results. Your message is sent to the group. In addition, the information is stored in an organized fashion and is accessible on the SideBar website.
Create a Profile Picture
Similar to popular social networking sites like LinkedIn and Facebook, a profile photo is included with your group communication. Nobody likes talking to a blank screen. If you don’t already have a profile picture, add one to your account to put a face with your name.
Add a profile picture with the following steps:
- Log in at ctbar.org and click “Profile Home” found in the “My Profile” menu.
- Your profile will appear with a box that shows a grey person that states “photo not available”
- Move your mouse cursor over the image and select the icon that appears with a green arrow pointing up. If you hover over it, the box reads “Add Photo”
- Choose your photo and upload it to your profile
Check Your E-mail Signature
When sending messages using your e-mail account, SideBar will automatically pull the signature that appears in the e-mail you are using. It should be noted that you may only e-mail the group using the e-mail account associated with ctbar.org. Any other e-mail accounts will not be able to access SideBar.
Checking Your Preferences
SideBar offers preferences that put you in control of your inbox and the number of e-mails you’d like to receive. Be sure to review your preferences and change them using the following steps:
Access a “Thread Subject” in SideBar to view all replies
SideBar has a functionality that organizes all of the messages sent in the groups by the subject of the message or “thread subject”. A “thread” is a term used to refer to an online discussion. This feature allows you to search for a particular message without scrolling through all of your old e-mails. To access discussions by “thread subjects” use the following steps.
- Navigate to SideBar
- Select “Discussion Posts” from the main menu
- Every message that was sent in your group(s) will reside there. You may click on the thread subjects and view the previous conversation as well as continue the conversation.
Now that you’ve got a profile picture and an e-mail signature, it’s time to introduce yourself to your community. Here are some ideas for your first post to get you started:
- Share and comment on a recent news article related
- Share a success story
- Ask a question
A great way to get to know other members outside of your group is the open forum. Any CBA member can join so a simple hello will be plenty to get a casual conversation going.